Friday, August 3, 2012

Bid Adieu to Bayou Country

The time has come for me to farewell to the place I have called home for the last eleven years. I remember my arrival to Sportsman's Paradise like it was yesterday. I could have flooded the mini airplane with my tears as we landed into the middle of nowhere {or Alexandria as the map informed me}. We just moved from the exotic island of Oahu, Hawaii. I also spent the summer in New York before my move and left behind a multitude of friends and family. Needless to say I despised my new home in Louisiana. Against my will, I started high school and was immediately interrogated about my life as an army brat. These mini FBI agents would eventually become some of the closest friends I've had and still keep in touch with to this day.

Before I knew it, I was applying for colleges and amongst the other acceptance letters from schools like Spelman and Howard University. To the surprise of my family I stayed in-state and made Northwestern State University of Louisiana my Alma mater. My family soon left and I quickly learned to adapt on my own. These would be some of the best times of my life. Taking mini road trips, reveling in Mardi Gras celebrations, and attending all the music and food festivals you could possibly think of. I experienced the metro city life as well as country living. Learned about the culture of the native people whether it be Creole Cajun or Native American. I helped people rebuild their lives when the storm ravaged the only place they knew as home. I loved every minute of it.

 I can point out the best places to hear live music in the state capitol, and take you to the best brunch this side of heaven. I can say "y'all" like the best of them, zydeco (slightly) and will always keep my kitchen in California stocked with Tony Chachere's seasonings. I'm still not a huge fan of eating pounds of boiled crawfish (not crayfish) and possum or other wild game won't be my meat of choice.
I might not be a Bayou baby but Louisiana will always have a special place in my heart.

Laissez les bon temps roulez !!!

Let the good times roll indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment